Do I Need to Lose Weight Before Liposuction?
Some of Dr. Myers’ patients from Conroe, The Woodlands, and Houston mistakenly think that liposuction is a weight loss procedure. It’s isn’t. On the contrary, this cosmetic procedure is designed to sculpt areas of the body that have excess fatty deposits that don’t respond to a healthy diet and exercise regime. If you’re on a weight loss journey, you need to lose all your desired weight before considering this procedure.
You see, each session can only safely eliminate about 4 lbs. of fat. This means this treatment isn’t really going to put a dent in your body mass index (BMI) or cause you to see a significantly lower number when you step on the scale.
The Ideal Liposuction Patient
Every year, Dr. Myers consults with several men and women from Conroe, The Woodlands, and Houston desiring this procedure. During his consultations, he tells them his criteria for becoming a candidate for this cosmetic procedure, which includes:
- Being at or very near your goal weight and having sustained it for at least 12 months. This means if you’re on a weight loss journey, you need to wait until you hit your goal weight and sustain it for many months before you’re a candidate for liposuction.
- Not using any nicotine products, as smoking, vaping, and chewing tobacco, can complicate the procedure and your recovery process.
- Being in good overall health and able to pass a pre-op appointment with your general practitioner.
- Being in good psychological health.
- Having a healthy diet and exercise routine so you can sustain your cosmetic results for months and years to come.*
Tips for Meeting and Sustaining Your Goal Weight
For patients in Conroe, The Woodlands, and Houston who still have some pounds to shed before becoming a candidate for this procedure, here are some tips for seeing your goal weight on the scale:
• See a Nutritionist or Dietician
Nutritionists and dieticians are trained to help people just like you lose weight. Additionally, they can help you develop a customized nutrition plan based on your current weight and BMI, your goal weight, and any health conditions or dietary restrictions you may have. He or she can also recommend some delicious, weight loss friendly recipes, too!
• Sign Up for Personal or Group Training
Some people have the discipline to regularly go to the gym. Others need accountability. There are several gyms and fitness groups in The Woodlands that offer personal or group training to help you get fit while being accountable to others, too.
• Check Your Healthcare Benefits
Health insurance plans care about helping you reach and maintain a healthy weight. Many health insurance companies offer benefits to those who see a dietician or nutritionist and offer discounts or other incentives for gym memberships. Some plans even have their own apps where you can earn points for gifts or discounts off items from places like Amazon for exercising. See what your health plan offers and download their app to help get extra motivation to reach your goal weight.
Schedule a Consultation with Dr. Myers
Once you’ve met and maintained your goal weight, Dr. Myers is happy to discuss your liposuction wishes with you.
To schedule an appointment, call Dr. Myers’ plastic surgery practice in Conroe at (936) 539-8115.
*Individual results may vary.